Saturday, May 2, 2020

In The Classifieds: Quarantine Edition.

JDM Rally Cars, Rusty French Sedans, American Muscle / Pickup Truck, Swedish Beauty, and... a Fire Truck?



This is a recurring feature where I daydream about taking up other bad ideas (in addition to the two that I already own), because if I had the money I'd totally pull a Hoovie's garage and throw money at junkers that nobody else would be interested in. What can I say, I am an automotive hipster with a Craigslist disease.   

I have the incurable disease that makes me browse Craigslist every now and then, despite the fact that I already own two German coupes and couldn't really afford a third car unless I sell off one of my organs.

The major problem is, instead of looking at stuff like a Civic or a Corolla -- stuff that my Asian parents would surely approve -- I look at things that usually is a) quirky; b) old; c) rare; and d) about as good of an investment as Enron. Therefore, most of the cars I regularly check out are over 25 years old, impractical, equipped with a manual, and very likely to be allergic to rain.

Especially now when everyone is stuck at home thanks to COVID-19, I now have even more time to browse. There has been a noticeable uptick in the amount of cars on the marketplace right now, which is probably the unfortunate result of our current economic downturn. Which is bad, because I am even more tempted than before to buy a third car, which will undoubtedly cause my own economic downturn.

I mean, while it is very unlikely that I will go off and buy any of the cars I spotted, that is kind of how I discover and made my purchase decisions on 4 of the last 5 cars that I've ever owned, so...

Thanks to Craigslist, I also came close to buying a Peugeot 106 GTi once, but that's a story for another day.

Anyways, these are the cars that I spotted on Craigslist this past week that made me go "oooooh". Consider this my version of day dreaming.


1. 1995 Toyota Celica GT-Four

What is it? 
A mid-1990s Toyota sports car, back in the days when they still did that sort of thing. 

Why? 
If you'd played Sega Rally Championship back in the late 90s, you would know that the Celica GT-Four is a bit of a legend in the car world. It's made back when Toyota was still serious in pursuing motorsport pedigree in the form of the World Rally Championship, and this Celica was the product of them bringing the rally car to the consumers.


Why not?
It's a mid-1990s homologation sports car, which means that they are all going to be overpriced to hell.  Although I suppose that this is not as bad when you compare to a Lancia Delta Integrale or an Audi Quattro. That said, for 15 grand, I could easily buy a Subaru WRX STi, which is probably superior in every way (albeit not as special).

Also, this car was featured in Initial D as the car driven by a, erm, sexual predator.

How likely will I buy one in the near future?
Pretty unlikely, unless I suddenly find a lot of extra money in my bank.

As Toyota sports cars go, a Celica is not really on the top of my list of desirables -- I'd much rather spend money on a second generation MR2. Sure, the video game nostalgic factor is strong with this one, and I suppose it's pretty cool to be driving a JDM classic on North American streets, and they will likely run forever, but for that kind of money, I'd want something just a little more performance.

2. 1979 Peugeot 504


What is it?
It's a mid-sized French sedan back when they still sold French cars in North America. It was later replaced by the 505, which was replaced by the 405, and the 406, and so on. Yeah, the French have really good imagination when it comes to naming their cars...

Why?
Being a mid-sized French car, the quirkiness is undoubtedly high. It is also pretty cool (I mean, how often do you see one of these on the roads?), especially when you consider that this car was actually designed by Pininfarina back in the 60s and launched in 1969.

This is also probably one of the most reliable cars ever made, with them easily lasting over a million miles in places like Africa. This car was so good, they made this exact car until 1983. You'd still see plenty of these running around in Africa today.

Why not? 
Yeah. You know that part where I said that this car is very reliable? Well. Such considerations was not granted to the body or the chassis, which turns into Swiss cheese in the humid climate of the Pacific Northwest:

Have fun patching this. 

This is why it's generally not a good idea to be hunting for classic European cars unless you're a blithering idiot, oh hey, speaking of which...

How likely will I buy one in the near future?
I am saving up for one already. Nah, just kidding. While I love French cars, I usually have an eye for their hot hatches and superminis. $1500 for one of these is awfully tempting of course, but there's a reason why it's $1500.

3. 1980 Chevrolet El Camino



What is it?
It's a two-door American pickup truck, except it's not really a pickup truck because it doesn't really haul that much stuff in the back and you probably can't tow things with it.

Why?
It's got a Chevy V8 -- in a car that is part pickup truck and part muscle car, which automatically increases your street cred amongst the over-60s crowd. At the risk of sounding even more old and more white, they also don't make them like these anymore, because pickup trucks need to be massive and tough and serves as a compensation for small male body parts. It was also featured in Enemy of the State, driven by one Gene Hackman


Why not?
I am pretty sure that Jake from your high school refrained from buying weed for a couple months in order to buy one, and spends the weekends doing burnouts on his driveway while his neighbours call the cops because they think that a drug deal is going down. Also, have I mentioned that you'd be popular amongst the over-60s crowd? Yeah, it's not a good thing.

How likely will I buy one in the near future?
Pretty unlikely. As much as I think it would be fun to own a pickup truck like these ones, especially one that is propelled by a V8, I just can't see myself enjoying the experience. It will probably drive like a boat, drinks like an Irish sailor (of the gas variety), and not even going to be that fast. Still, a small part of me (the worst part) thinks, "hmmm, this might be interesting." And this is why you can't trust me with these things.

4. 1971 Volvo P1800


What is it?
A old Volvo that is -- gasp -- not boxy! You wouldn't find too many hipsters driving these either.

Why? 
Look at it. This is probably one of the best looking Volvos -- actually, I take it back -- cars that has ever been made. This particular one is in pristine condition. The P1800 was an Italian-designed (in the 50s!), front-engined and rear-wheel drive, Swedish sports car. I don't think you'd be able to find anything that is cooler than this. Roger Moore drove one.

Seriously, the only thing that would make this even cooler is if it were a shooting brake.

Why not?
Are you blind? Look at this car. It's drop-dead gorgeous. Sure, it's got an inline-4 under the hood and will probably starts dissolving into the ground as soon as it sees any mositure, but seriously. Look at it. Volvo hasn't designed anything that looks this good since this thing last left the factory floor in 1973.

Look at that luggage rack. Just look at it. 

How likely will I buy one in the near future?
It's $23,000 for one of these -- which, to give the credit to the owner, is about as much as how Hagerty values it. Alas, I just don't have the money (in general, I don't think I will ever spend over $20k on a vehicle purchase, unless I make a helluva lot more money than I make now).

Even if I did, I'd probably net something a little more sporty a la BMW 3.0 CS or a Mercedes Benz SL -- both just as gorgeous and iconic, but with better powerplants under the bonnet.

If it's the shooting brake though? Take my money. And my kidney.

5. 1990 Pierce Arrow Custom Fire Truck



What is it?
It's a fire truck.

Why? 
It's a fire truck.

Yep, it's a fire truck.

Why not?
It's a fire truck.

How likely will I buy one in the near future?
I don't know. It's a fire truck. Apparently you can buy fire trucks on Craigslist. I don't even know if I am legally allowed to drive one of these on the roads. 

It's a fire truck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment