Wednesday, June 21, 2023

My Life is Complete.



Star of the Show: 2004 Porsche Carrera GT.

"It isn't styled with the verve or the passion of a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. Its form, following function in every piece, every detail, is as precise and as perfect as Germany's rail timetable." @jeremyclarkson1 on Top Gear, talking about the Porsche Carrera GT.

That particular review came out almost 20 years ago, and it was one of the first Top Gear episodes I've watched. Left quite an impression on me back in 2004, and it still does now. The CGT is quite simply stunning.


In the age of EVs, the numbers generated by this car aren’t all that impressive -- 5.7L V10, 603 hp, 0-100 in 3.9 seconds, top speed of 330 km/h. What is impressive though, is its sense of occasion, the noise and the vibration from the V10 and the 6-speed manual transmission, and the fact that it demands respect from whoever takes the wheel rather than just muddling the driving experience with endless safety aids.


This is one of the last truly analogue hyper cars we will ever see, and I am glad I finally got to see it in person.

"... Normally, I like British and Italian cars because they have so much soul and character. German cars I always find are long on engineering but a bit short on passion. This, though... My God!"


Jezza was right, and Doug Demuro is a lucky bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment