Sunday, September 17, 2023

"Obey & Survive"


Star of the Show: Ford Crown Victoria P71 Police Interceptor.

This is probably the first time I've seen a car cosplaying from a video game.

When I graduated from university in 2011, GTA V was just announced. As a fan of sandbox video games with lots of driving element, I was actually most pumped to be able to drive around in a police car instead of shooting up the place like normal GTA players want. Yes I am weird, I know.

Turns out someone took that idea and turned it into reality.


I have actually followed this instagram account for a while now, but have never met him in person. Once I pulled into the meet, he actually saw my car first and chatted with me. I quickly realized that he was the madman who did this build. And what a cool one this is.


All the decals are faithful to the game. The additional police equipment, like the functional radio, center console, and the Whelen light bar -- were shipped in from the US. On top of that, this P71 is also slightly modified. You look at this and you gotta wonder: Why would anyone bother doing this much to a retired police car?


The owner of this CVPI is a 3-time cancer survivor, and he spent a lot of time on video games when he was recovering -- and of course, GTA V. Eventually, as it happens to a lot of car people, the interest soon developed into "hey, what if I build a real cop car based on a fake video game cop car based on a real cop car?"


This is the kind of build where initially you'd have a bit of a laugh looking at this, only to turn around and respect the amount of work that has been put in to make it authentic. The fact that this car is used for cancer charity drives makes it infinitely better. This is officially one of the coolest builds I've ever seen in person.


Also, GTA V is now 10 years old as of today. Rockstar, move your butt and launch GTA VI already.

No comments:

Post a Comment